Overcoming Pneumonia, Anemia, Fatigue
Sarah Laucks is director of education for an organization that stages events in the U.S. and Canada for people with disabilities, their caregivers, and healthcare professionals. She shared her grounding experience with us in December 2017: “The first week of March 2017 I ended up in the hospital for four days with pneumonia and iron-deficient anemia. Looking back over the preceding few months, my physician felt I acquired walking pneumonia several weeks prior to the hospital stay after fighting off a cold since the end of January. The walking pneumonia left my immune system very weak and I picked up a more dangerous type of pneumonia as a result (there are more than 30 known causes of pneumonia and most are contagious).
“The iron-deficient anemia was likely due to six months of intense work and stress, coupled with increased weight lifting workouts, and diet that was not supporting me properly.
“My ‘adventure’ with pneumonia meant four trips to the ER (three in an ambulance), 4 full days in the hospital, three doses of the powerful antibiotic Levaquin followed by an allergic reaction to that antibiotic, and lastly intense digestive trouble as a result of nearly 20 days on antibiotics.
“To resolve the iron-deficient anemia I was taking iron supplements which are known to cause digestive troubles. I needed to rebuild my reserves after the pneumonia, had constant shortness of breath due to the anemia, and a stomach that couldn’t handle much in the way of food.
“While I was in the hospital a long-time friend and colleague was also hospitalized for a pressure sore (she has spina bifida and is a wheelchair user). We texted each other while in the hospital and she told me she was using grounding mats. I had heard of grounding a full four years prior but had never looked deeper or tried it for myself. When she got out of the hospital in half the time compared to her last pressure sore (which was approximately 15 years prior) I decided to pay attention. I got out of the hospital on March 9. I continued to hear from my friend about how well she was doing. “Meanwhile I was trying to get better with nutrition, probiotics, and other supplements. I’d feel better for a few days, then have a few bad days. I was very frustrated. Finally, on May 17 I bought two grounding mats. I was somewhat skeptical. I thought, ‘this is ridiculous.’ But I went ahead, read the directions, tested an outlet, and put my bare feet on the mat.
“Within 60 seconds I could feel it. Twenty minutes later I felt significantly better. I started using those two mats obsessively. I slept with them at night. I had them under my desk during the day – with my bare feet on them at all times. Used them on the couch at night – resting my feet and ankles on them. My husband thought I was crazy but there was no doubt to me that the grounding was helping, and it was helping more than anything else. “When the weather warmed up, I was also outside in my bare feet constantly. I spent at least a full hour, often more, outside from the end of May until the weather got cold in late October 2017.
“The improvements I’ve experienced are like nothing I’ve ever had before. I’ve been on a wellness adventure since I was 19 and I have tried everything including chiropractic, massage, acupuncture and acupressure, nutrition, supplements, juicing, smoothies. I’ve tried a lot of things. I have a litany of long-term health challenges including three herniated discs in my lumbar spine since I was 23, Celiac disease and more. Nothing has helped me as much as grounding.
“Here’s a list of improvements:
- “I have not been sick with a cold or any other contagious disease since I started grounding. In spite of organizing large events, with thousands of people at each event, shaking many hands, hugging many people. I’ve also had four trips during this time period where I flew – time in airports surrounded by hacking, coughing, sneezing passengers.
- “Within six weeks of grounding I started to notice a change in the skin on my hands. The skin was becoming smoother, less red, and more full. My nails, which were heavily ridged from the anemia, were also smoothing out – not as they grew out but the entire nail bed was smoothing out. At first my husband said ‘no way.’ But within the next month he had to admit my skin all over my body was changing – for the better. It was like I was getting younger. People constantly comment on how much my skin is improving.
- “I sleep very soundly. I’m rested and ready to go when I wake up. I no longer need a few hours to ‘get going.’ My husband says he’s never seen me have so much energy. We’ve been together for 12 years. And he’s right I have so much more energy than I did before.
- “I am doing things again that I haven’t done in years. I used to be a figure skater and I’m going back to the rink after 10 years away from it. I run with my son to school each morning, turn around and run back home. Six months ago I was out of breath walking him the two blocks to school!
- “I resolved my iron deficient anemia by September 2017, just six months after it was diagnosed. My hematologist was so surprised he wanted to know exactly what I’d done.
- “I am more motivated. I am more focused, significantly so. I am not struggling to stay focused by giving myself little rewards – breaks in the day to look at social media or watch a movie trailer.
- “My husband has not snored one night since we got the grounding sheet. He used to snore all the time.
“I can breathe better than I can remember. It’s a physical sensation throughout my sinus cavities that I don’t remember feeling before.
“Within a few minutes of beginning grounding I can tell that I am grounding. My lips begin to feel fuller – in fact they are much more red these days, an indicator of improved circulation and better oxygenation in the blood. I also feel tingling in my tongue.
“I’m so excited for the future! I feel that I am aging in reverse. I absolutely feel that my body is younger and more vibrant than it was six months ago. When I got sick I was feeling frustrated on so many levels – my skin was looking old with lots of wrinkles, my lips had no color (an anemia indicator), I had no energy – no motivation, I was burned out, all I wanted to do was rest, I was pushing myself to get through every day. Now I am vibrant and excited for each new day.
“Every day I have this thought: I have my life and health and vigor back.”