• From a medical doctor in Australia: “I am quite astonished at the effectiveness of sleeping grounded. I have had a chronic neck and back pain issue with often severe stress states associated with it.
“The improvement in my sleep and in my pain and stiffness in only 3 nights has been dramatic. It is clear that the grounding sheet will soon pay for itself in terms of reduced requirement for massage and chiropractic treatment, not to mention analgesic medication. As a medical practitioner I am surprised that this seems to be the best kept health secret in town.”
• From the 2012 blog of a medical doctor in England: “On 3rd January, I vaulted over a high gate and landed on some steps the other side, twisting my right ankle as I did this. I’ve had pain in this ankle ever since. Not enough to stop me walking, but running has been out of the question. Rushing down the stairs (as I like to do) has also been quite uncomfortable. I’ve also had a pain in the top of my left foot. Not sure when this started, but I first noticed it at least several weeks ago.
“My earthing experiment started with me sitting with my bare feet on damp grass on 14th April. I lasted 20 minutes. Later in the day I noticed that the pain in my left foot and ankle had disappeared completely (and they have not returned since).
“Another odd thing is that for the preceding few days I had been brewing an ingrowing toenail on my right big toe. I used to get these a lot when I younger, but they’ve been rarer since I’ve gotten older. The normal course for these is to get steadily worse over several days and then I’d perform a bit of DIY surgery (don’t ask) to relieve the issue. The morning after my first earthing escapade, I noticed that my ingrowing toenail had utterly resolved on its own.
“That day I put my bare feet on the grass again, this time for 30 minutes. And then an earthing mat arrived and I’ve been using it ever since which I put my feet on when I work).
“OK, so the near miraculous resolution of my foot and ankle troubles could have been due to a lovely placebo response. I’m comfortable with this, if that’s the case (though I’ll never know). But one of my experiences I think points away from the improvement being purely placebo: For several months now I’d also had a niggly pain in my left elbow which is most noticeable when I wake up. While my ankle and foot pain (and ingrowing toenail) resolved, my elbow pain did not. This does not in any way disprove my foot/ankle improvement was not a placebo response, but the likelihood of it being placebo is diminished by the experience with my elbow I think.
From the same medical blogger,May 2013: “About a year ago…it seemed as though earthing might have quickly resolved a persistent pain in my left ankle and foot. I’ve been earthing regularly ever since and my pain has not returned. A pain in my left elbow had not resolved (at the time) but has resolved now. I was prone to pain coming from somewhere around my left hip that had bothered me for several months, too. That pain has also resolved.
“The resolution of my pains may have had nothing to do with grounding (I will never know). However, my hunch (and it is just that) is that earthing has brought me real benefits.
“I ground in my home and find this convenient, but this is not essential to derive whatever benefits earthing may offer. Yesterday, for example, I spent an hour in the park with my bare feet planted on the ground. At the end of the hour I felt truly invigorated and refreshed. Was it the break from my desk, the fresh air, the sun, the grounding effect or something else that had this effect? I just don’t know. What I do know is that the end result felt good and it did not cost me a dime.”
• “I am a non-professional athlete who has been running since childhood. I had shoulder pain from a fall on a local running trail in August 2009, left hip pain for years, a tweaked neck, and was recovering from a sprained ankle a month before (that was not my year!). After one hour of Earthing, the pain in all areas nearly vanished.
“I went through the change three years ago and could not sleep a full night without waking up multiple times from pain of past injuries and a noisy living environment. Since sleeping on my Earthing sheet, all has changed. For the first time in three years I have been sleeping a full night sleep with dreams. I feel more balanced, my friends say I look younger now, and I have a renewed zest for life!”
• From a man in Pennsylvania: “My wife (age 57) has been grounding for more than seven months. She has had various health issues – fibromyalgia, interstitial cystitis (bladder inflammation), arthritis in her fingers – and she is significantly better on all fronts. She never
used to dream & have trouble sleeping but she sleeps much better, and falls asleep nearly immediately now while earthing.”
• From a Kentucky senior: “Most of my long life I have enjoyed playing the piano. I learned Boogie Woogie by rote listening to Pete Johnson, Albert Ammons and Meade Lux Lewis on 78 rpm records back in the early nineteen forties in Chicago, and took a few lessons to learn chords so I could play by ear. I could walk tenths up the scale without rolling and had no problem with riffs. And I could play a good boogie base for an hour without forearm fatigue. But over the years my fingers got stiff and my walking base slowed down to a painful stroll.
“But that’s in the past now that I have an Earthing mat under my bare feet when I sit down to bang on my old spinet. My fingers have become more limber and quick so I can play Pinetop’s Boogie almost as well as I did in the old days. Now I keep one Earthing mat plugged in under my piano as well as one under my computer table. Thanks to my Earthing mats my day is like a barefoot walk in the park and my eighty-four year old fingers are playing boogie and typing better than ever!
“I instinctively shed my shoes and socks every chance I got since I was five years old because it made me feel good…but stepping on glass, rusty wire, sticks, thorns, and sitting on a doctor’s table to get a tetanus shot, was no fun! So for years the only connection I had with the earth was an every-now-and-then walk on a vacation beach. But thanks to my Earthing mat I can now walk on a beach anytime I choose on my Earthing mat! I’m completely energized! I can actually feel the warm energy from earth flowing up through my feet and out my fingers. And my knee joints and back have a lot less of the painful reminders of college football and heavy lifting.”
• “For eight years I suffered 24/7 from considerable leg pain due to neuropathy. After some 18 to 20 months of sleeping grounded on an Earthing sheet, my legs are completely healed of the neuropathy. For two and half years now I’ve had no problem with neuropathy. What worked for me may not work for everyone, but this is my result.
“I have a left shoulder that has been seriously injured three times in my life, and I attach three or four grounding patches to it each night as I sleep and by the next morning 90-95% of the pain is gone. I’ve also used the patches to relieve the pain of a bum knee, back pain, headaches, sore throats, pain in my hands, and to prevent leg cramps. When I feel cramping coming on, I quickly attach an Earthing patch to the muscle in question and the tendency to cramping immediately stops.” (U.S.)
• “Since using the grounding mat while at the computer I no longer suffer pain in my neck and arms. Also the pain I was experiencing in my hips at night in bed has greatly reduced and my sleep apnea disappeared from the first night of using the grounding half sheet.” (Australia)
• From a reader of the Earthing book in the U.K.: “Before I got to the end of the book I had taken delivery of a sheet and a mat for grounding. This seemed to make so much sense to me though my family think I am a little crazy. I took a 2 hour nap today on my newly delivered sheet and woke with much less pain in my arthritic hip and toe and had a burst of energy. I can’t wait to go to bed tonight!”
“My 26 years as a contractor have produced different physical problems and pains. I just started using the bands for my elbow and I have to admit it is working very good so far as it has reduced my pain about 80%.
“I started my journey back to health 12 years ago, but I could not help with my elbows. Now, with the use of the wrist band, I’m almost back to normal and I know I will recover completely.”
Hand and Wrist Pain
• From a 70-year-old retired teacher in California: “I am an amateur pianist and 3 years ago purchased a Steinway. I immediately started playing it about 4 hours a day. The stiffness of the pedals caused me to experience great pain in my right leg. My chiropractor worked on it off and on. I could only practice 10 minutes at a time due to the pain. A bummer for waiting 66 years to get a Steinway! A year ago I started playing music by Mompou, and the hand positions are horrid. My right hand also started to hurt and I practiced with bandages etc. Sometimes I resorted to left hand practice alone. Suddenly I got the idea to practice barefoot and put an electrode patch on the palm of my right hand. I also put a grounding band on a large hematoma I got on my right arm from a bad blood draw. I immediately could put in 3 hours on the piano. There are a number of world renowned pianists who have had to turn to conducting and teaching because of pain in their hands. It would be a service to the world of music if they started grounding themselves.”
• From a woman in Australia: “I have no more wrist pain that I have had for the last 3 years from 30 years of dog grooming. I can now sleep without pain and can groom without having pain while I am working.”
Pain from Metal Rod in Leg
• From Alice M: “Grounding has been a ‘miracle’ for me. I have a rod in my leg which always hurts from a little bit to a lot. Since I started Earthing there is very little pain. I use the grounding sheet, body bands, and patches.”
• “I am 69 years old and have not been able to go without shoes for years because of tenderness and pain on the bottom of my feet. After I started Earthing every day, I was surprised to be able to walk barefoot free from pain, both inside of my home and outside.”
• “I believe I have had significant benefit from sleeping grounded. I had lots of ‘pins and needles’ and numbness through my hands, arms, legs feet and spreading through my body – which is disappearing. Also I had 2 Morton’s Neuromas in my feet (that I had taken cortisone for) and now they have almost disappeared. I believe it’s the sheet that’s doing the magic. Morton’s neuroma is a thickening of nerve tissue between the third and fourth toes, and it’s quite painful.”
• “I have suffered from Achilles tendonitis in my right foot for many months and was starting to get it in my left foot. The pain when I got out of bed was excruciating, a 9 on a pain level of 1-10. After 4 weeks of grounding (with a half-sheet and mat) the pain level is about 4-5 now and the pain in my left foot has gone. My husband suffers from pain in his shoulders, hips, and back which we believe is osteoarthritis. The shoulder and hip pain is mostly gone and the back pain has reduced by 30%.”
Ankle Break Pain
• “I have been sleeping grounded for two years, since after a severe ankle break. The surgical repair required a plate and nine screws. As a result, I was experiencing difficulty sleeping and had nerve pain in my left foot. With grounding, almost immediately I was sleeping better and the nerve pain subsided. Most significantly, I have a ‘quieter mind’ when sleeping grounded. I fall asleep much quicker if I have to get up during the night. These are subtle things, but very beneficial. I feel more rested when I wake up and love the results of being connected to the Earth.
“When I started grounding, I had a 17 year old dog with mental decline and arthritic issues. After sleeping for two weeks on a grounded pad his back was more relaxed, he slept better and seemed to move without the chronic pain. It added so much to the quality of his last year of life. He passed away at 18 years and I feel that the Earthing really gave him relief and less stress.”
• “I have a sore knee nearly always from riding thousands of racehorses over the years with very short stirrups. I have been using a grounding band just above my knee at night…and whilst doing yoga. The pain is nearly gone altogether… amazing!” (Australia)
• From a woman in Australia: “For a few years I was experiencing bursitis pain in my right hip that moves down toward my leg and knee. I was not able to lie on my right side. I’ve been using a grounding sheet for four weeks and now my hip pain is gone. I noticed an improvement within a few days. I can now lie on my side quite comfortably without pain. I no longer need the painkillers at night. Nor do I wake up as before during the night with pain. I sleep better at night and wake up feeling more refreshed, with more energy during the day. I recently spent an entire day in my garden. Normally by night time by legs and arms would ache. However sleeping on the grounding sheet my body felt rested and refreshed and I felt little pain the next day. Normally after a day in the garden I would have quite sore muscles that would take 48 hours to recover. Not any more now. I have spent thousands of dollars on treatments for my hip but until now have never experienced total pain free. Now with grounding this is happening.”
• “I’ve had a very bad neck injury from a fall that damaged the discs in my neck. The one compressed disc leaves very little room for the radial nerves where they exit my neck. I have to be very careful when I turn my head in either direction, and I cannot tip my head back. To do either of these things puts a lot of painful pressure on the nerves. If I sit in a chair with the seat at the wrong angle for any length of time, or use my arms in the wrong way, the nerves in my arm(s) flair up. Once the flair was so bad I had to take NSAID drugs for 4 months and I wear ice packs that I change every two hours. After a while, the nerves settle down. The flair ups are of shorter duration usually and ice packs and Tylenol are enough.
“I have had ‘nerve conduction studies’ done twice. Electrodes are placed on the arm being tested (in my case the arms) along the pathway of the radial nerve. Very wet bracelets are wrapped around my wrists. Electric pulses are sent through the arm and a computer measures how long it takes for the electric current to move through the nerve. The doctors can tell from the test if the nerve(s) is being damaged by how the current sweeps through the arm. The test takes about 45 minutes. It is exhausting and painful. Near the end of the test the doctor inserts a fine needle right into the nerve and runs the current again (pretty sore for a long time afterwards). I’m worn out and strung out afterwards, and just want to get home.
“The earthing mat provides instant, and the most dramatic relief! It is so immediately notable. The relief felt is extraordinary. I can’t imagine how other people get through the nerve conduction study test without earthing afterwards.”
• From Mike, a California construction project manager: “I’ve been grounding while I sleep for about 1.5 weeks and my back pain is down to about 45%. I’m 6’5” and have been dealing with back issues most of my life. I have been researching grounding for about 2 years and I have only been practicing barefoot outside until about 2 weeks ago. Knowing when we sleep is extremely important for healing and recharging, I finally pulled the trigger on an Earthing throw as well as an Eathing mat for when I’m at my computer. I am experiencing several (positive) mind and body differences that I have never had or lost somewhere in my youth.”
• “I spent my childhood barefoot, healthy and happy. So I was very interested in the concept that something so natural could be so beneficial for the human body. I have been working as a dental hygienist for most of my adult life. For the past few years, I have had a great deal of pain in my back because of the unnatural position I have to be in while working. I tried chiropractic treatments and yoga, but nothing seemed to work until I began Earthing. The first day that I spent barefoot outside in my yard for a few hours, I slept very soundly that night and did not have my usual aches and pain. I have kept going barefoot as much as possible during the summer and as long as I got my Earthing in every day, I was pain free. I am so happy to have such simple and natural solution. I’m planning to start sleeping grounded soon as well.”
• From a woman in Australia: “My 2 month old scar wound from a caesarean was not healing and I had constant bad back pain. I had tried absolutely everything the Doctor prescribed without any success. I heard about Earthing and, even though I was skeptical, I decided to try the large body band around my torso at night. However, I thought ‘what have I got to lose?’ I slept with the band on and for the first time since the birth of my daughter had a better night’s sleep, and the pain in my back went, and I think because of this my mood was much better the next day. I have been using the band for around a month and my wound is now 90% healed and my sleep is definitely better, making me a nicer person to be around.”
• “I ground myself every night and use a grounding patch while I’m in the kitchen for several hours. I do the grounding because for five years I was in excruciating pain from a Bulging disc (L5,S1 ) that led to sciatic pain and nothing helped to relieve it. Grounding got me out of pain and saved my sanity.”